Hope the title didn’t blow your mind, because it’s just the simple principle behind making your own ice cream!
- The ice (in the large Zip-lock bag) absorbs energy when it melts.
- The energy comes from whatever it is touching around it (the air and the small Zip-lock bag filled with milk*, sugar and vanilla).
- When salt is added, it lowers the freezing point of the ice, so even more energy has to be absorbed in order for it to melt.
- This makes the ice even colder than it was before, so the mixture freezes quickly.
- Watch out for brain freeze!!!
*Students with allergies used soymik.